16 Major Advantages Of Being A Book Lover
It’s no secret that reading is an excellent pastime. But sometimes, at the end of a long day, it’s easier to switch on Netflix than reach for the novel you were so excited about, but have yet to start. Don’t be dissuaded! There are major advantages to being a book lover. Here are 16, to start:
1. You’re never bored. Public transportation? Grab a book. Doctor’s waiting room? Grab a book. Your friends are ignoring you because you “never come out” and “are always too busy reading”? You guessed it: Grab a book.
2. You have an easy, cut-and-dry filtering system for potential dates. This can be a disadvantage, too; “I don’t read” is a relationship death knell, even if everything else is going smoothly.
3. While everyone else is stuck living just one, probably kind of boring life, you get to experience hundreds of lives, and explore the consciousnesses of hundreds of people. It’s like telepathy, but better.
4. You get to learn while you exercise! And by exercise, we mean hold up 1Q84 while reading it in bed. Your arm strength is impeccable.
5. You can talk about all of the major blockbusters before they even come out. SPOILER ALERT: Peeta is a total dreamboat.
6. You have the perfect quote for every situation. Like right now: “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” – Stephen King,On Writing
7. Similarly, you know the perfect word to describe every situation. Your vocabulary is stellar.
8. You are the easiest person in the world to buy gifts for.
9. The varying perspectives offered by characters from books is basically free therapy; you receive good advice about living well on a regular basis.
10. No cable or Internet due to inclement weather? No problem! You were planning on reading tonight anyway.
11. Better readers are better writers.
12. You are in possession of an endless wealth of conversation starters.
13. You don’t have to fret over smart or beautiful decor for your home; your collection of books takes care of that for you.
14. You have read so many books that you’re able to endow your own life with excitement and drama.
15. According to a recent study, reading enhances your brain’s connectivity. That’s right – there’s scientific proof that reading makes you smarter.
16. You get to travel to far corners of the world, past and present. You can witness a century’s worth of Colombian history or witness the relationships amongst citizens of Elizabethan England.